Scavenger hunt riddles can make the entire scavenger-hunting process so much more fun for everyone involved.
Kids and adults alike can enjoy scavenger hunts that require that you solve riddles to find your next clues. If you are planning a scavenger hunt for the workplace or employees, team building riddles can be a great addition as well!
What Are Scavenger Hunt Riddles?
Scavenger hunt riddles are clever phrasings of clues that indicate where an item may be located but often in a mystifying way rather than directly describing the location.
These types of clues, which are often in a rhyming format, are meant to be confusing and to throw teams of hunters off the scent just enough so they have to problem-solve before understanding the location. This makes sure that it is not as easy to find your next clue as just running from place to place, which can make the scavenger hunt so much more fun.
Adults and kids alike can enjoy this kind of added challenge for the scavenger hunt experience.
How to Make Riddles for a Scavenger Hunt
Riddles are often tricky to make, but with a little clever thinking and writing, you should be able to write your own. Otherwise, there are tons of resources to work from.
There are also many great examples of riddles that you can borrow with a few changes for your scavenger hunt. You will find that riddles come in all shapes and sizes as well, so you can use any combination of these different riddle styles for your scavenger hunt.
Scavenger Hunt Riddles
- In my reflection, you can see your complexion. -mirror
- I have a head and a tail but no arms and legs. What am I? Answer: coin
- What has two hands and also a face, but does not have arms and legs? Answer: a clock
- I swing open wide and lock up tight, when I am outside, I keep the house safe at night. Answer: gate
- I make dirty garments clean and remove stains and dirt, never to be seen! Answer: washing machine
- I can smash scissors, and paper will cover me. Who am I? Answer: a rock
- The more that I dry, the wetter I become. What am I? Answer: a towel
- I bring good news but can also hold junk. I can creak and squeak and close with a thunk. Answer: mailbox
- Pump me up so that I can roll, I might pop if we hit a hole. Answer: tire
- I am always overlooked by everyone, yet everyone has one of me. What am I? Answer: a nose
- I get smaller when I take a bath. What am I? Answer: soap
- In a bowl or on a hook or in a pocket, you need me near so you can lock it. Answer: keys
- I am a flat box full of color and sound. In the living room, I am sure to be found. Answer: TV
- Two in the bedroom, one in a house, none in the kitchen. What am I? Answer: the letter O
Scavenger Hunt Riddles for Adults
- Switch me on, and darkness will be gone, I fit in your hand and can be switched off and on and your demand. Answer: flashlight
- Nice and fat is how you love me best, losing track of me loses what’s inside me. Answer: wallet
- What repeats your words but isn’t an echo? Answer: a parrot
- Open me and look inside at what I hide, you have all your favorite things inside. Answer: freezer
- I hold dirt, and also I am not neat, you can often find me on the street. Answer: garbage can
- Back and forth I take you, with me, you can fly higher and higher into the sky. Answer: a swing
- I eat grass for my meals, but my stomach is filled with gas. Answer: lawnmower
- When the sun goes down, it's time for me to wake up, rub me, and a genie might pop up. Answer: lamp
- When you buy me I am black, when you are using me, I am red, when you throw me out, I will be gray. Answer: charcoal
- Every day you step on me, all that is required is a bend of the knee. Answer: stairs
- I am delicious and brown, and I give adult energy when they are down. Answer: coffee
- I have a single eye but cannot see. Answer: Needle
- You might use me to get around. I roll and make a lot of sounds. Answer: car
- I keep books safe in my pack. Zip me up and put me on your back. Answer: backpack
Indoor Scavenger Hunt Riddles for Adults
- I warm your food but don’t put your hand inside me because I can give you quite a burn. Answer: a pan
- My chime might be loud or soft, it's my job to get you up! Answer: alarm clock
- I could grow up tall or I might be small. I smell very pleasant and I can make a great present. Answer: flowers
- I start and end in E and have just one letter inside me. Answer: envelope
- I am humble and make your clothes tumble. Answer: dryer
- I sit in a corner while I am traveling all around the world. What am I? Answer: stamp
- I can fall from a tall building and live, but if you put me in water, I might die. What am I?
- From this pot, adults can drink a lot. Answer: coffee pot
- With two wheels I can roll, taking you where you want to go. I go fast and slow but don’t hit a hole! Answer: a bicycle
- My spine is stiff and my contents are pale. I can always tell a tale. Answer: book
- I have no life but yet can die, what am I? Answer: batter
- When I am hungry you should feed me bread. When I pop, bring the spread. Answer: toaster
- You use me after you play in the dirt. When you get me in your eyes, it can hurt. Answer: Shampoo
- I have keys but no locks, I have space but no rooms. Answer: keyboard
Scavenger Hunt Riddles for Kids
- I am in the kitchen, but you can’t eat me, fido really loves to greet me! Answer: dog food
- When you feel tired, you might use me, I have four legs, but I have no feet. Answer: chair
- I have a neck but do not have a head, I wear a cap on top instead. Answer: bottle
- I am a rainbow in a box. Answer: crayons
- I grow short as I get older. Answer: candle
- You buy me for eating but cannot eat me. Answer: plate
- I have four legs and might be short or tall, put your food on me, and it will not fall. Answer: table
- I get big when I eat and weak when I drink. Answer: fire
- I make the air fresh, and I grow strong, if I grow tall and straight my years might be long. Answer: tree
- I keep you safe from the cold and wine, put me on your back, and become thicker-skinned. Answer: coat
- I never ask any questions, but everyone always answers me. Answer: doorbell
- I am full of holes but hold water. What am I? Answer: sponge
- Hot dogs, hamburgers, and all kinds of food. Look for me and find these foods and more. Answer: grill
- Pull me back in the morning, and shut me at night. The light shines through me when you bundle me tight. Answer: curtains
- I can’t be used until I am broken. What am I? Answer: eggs
Printable Scavenger Hunt Riddles
These printable scavenger hunt riddles can help you to plan a scavenger hunt that your teams will love and that they will not soon forget.
If you're looking for your next team building adventure for your students, employees, or event remember that Scavify's scavenger hunt app can help you organize and manage an innovative experience your group will love with ease. Teams can track one another’s progress, see videos and photos that have been uploaded, and even check in at list locations using QR codes! Scavify makes scavenger hunts innovative, immersive, and easy to manage.